Today is a special day for several reasons:
- It is my 31st birthday.
- It is the official start date of my new and beautifully amazing job.
- I spent the day meeting a great group of co-workers while traveling across the country in an unexpected training trip to the Pacific Northwest. (!!!)
- I have the privilege of sharing this day with the honorable Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
As I write this, there are 10 minutes left of West Coast time on my birthday. In these last moments of the day, I thought I’d share a quick list of 31 things I’m celebrating and/or thankful for right now. So without further ado, here goes …
My “Celebrating 31” List:
- A beautiful children’s book on peace my friend Katy gave to me.
- Access to water.
- Food, shelter, and clothing.
- A heart that breaks for redemption and peace.
- A voice that loves to sing worship to Jesus.
- Follow Me to Freedom, a cool book by Shane Claiborne and John M. Perkins that Kirk gave me for Christmas.
- My silver butterfly ring, another Christmas gift from Kirkum.
- The chance to work for an amazing company with an incredible mission and a unique approach, alongside a group of truly talented, good-hearted, and enthusiastic people.
- Sudoku puzzles.
- Free wi-fi.
- Quiet moments.
- My 2010 Moleskine notebook planner.
- Text messaging.
- My nonviolence mentors over this past year: Gandhi, MLKJ, Thomas Merton, Dorothy Day, Nelson Mandela, Mother Teresa, and John Dear.
- My MSFL cohort at Spring Arbor.
- My spiritual director and my Audire supervisor.
- Diva and Solomon.
- Kirk’s smile.
- Zoey, the white Jetta that keeps on going, even at 130,000 miles.
- Brother Merton, my vintage Smith-Corona typewriter.
- New glasses.
- Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova. (Great music. Check out the Once soundtrack or the new Swell Season CD.)
- Contentment in who God created me to be.
Thanks for sharing a few moments of this special day with me! I’d love to turn the question back to you: What are you thankful for in this moment?